The trash must be sorted in 5 different ways. Each trash type has its own collection date, as well. If you put it out too early or fail to sort properly, you may suffer the scorn of your neighbors or the city of Sakai.
- Household Garbage - Consisting of food waste, paper, or anything else that is combustible. Picked up every Tuesday and Friday.
- Plastics - This is mostly food and item packaging. Every Wednesday.
- PET Bottles - All of Japan's plastic bottles seam to be recyclable, and must separated. The cap and the label, however, go with the rest of the plastic packaging, and no the bottles. Don't forget to rinse. Picked up every 1st and 3rd Saturdays of the month.
- Cans and bottles - These are aluminum cans and any glass bottles. Picked up every 2nd and 4th Saturdays.
- Small metal objects - Scissors, forks, tools, spray cans, pots, and so on. Every 3rd Thursday of the month.
Yes, I do have a special iCal calendar for this alone.